Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pastor Doug's Excellent Adventure!!


Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

 The "Excellent Adventure" begins in mid-October, when I will begin my part-time studies toward a Doctor of Ministry degree concentrating in justice and advocacy. Though coursework will occur in a variety of settings, I am working toward this degree through the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in a program that can be completed in no less than three years and no more than six.

 What does this mean for Incarnate Word? It means that you my brothers and sisters will be my mentors, on occasion my case studies, and always my friends with whom I will work to both experiment and apply advocacy programming in our congregation. Therein lies the beauty of the Doctor of Ministry degree. Unlike a Ph.D., which is academic in nature and requires full-time attention to coursework, the D. Min degree is designed for full-time parish pastors and their congregations.

 Using my continuing education time, there will be a couple of weeks over the course of the year that I will need to be in Philadelphia doing coursework. The remainder of the year, I’ll be working with you and other leaders of Incarnate Word in programming as well as the day-to-day pastoral ministry we have always done together.

 The course I’m taking in October is entitled, “Discerning a Direction Toward Renewal”. In this week long intensive course, we will be examining and critiquing multiple 21st century approaches to congregational transformation and renewal. I will also be assessing my own leadership style and skills as well as the strengths and challenges of our mission context here at Incarnate Word. The desired outcome of this course is to give us tools in our continued efforts of assessing and developing suitable strategic plans for our congregation.

 I am tremendously appreciative of the love and prayers of both Executive and Congregation Council leaders, who have encouraged and supported me in these efforts of discernment. I am thankful as well for each and every one of you as together in Christ, we strive not to be a corporate entity focused on church survival, but a mission outpost seeking to pour ourselves out in love for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

 
Peace in Christ,

Pastor Doug