Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Letter to our RAIHN Guests



Dear Dawn and Wanda,

The doors of our church were opened to you this week as we invited you and your families to make our church building your home.  We do this four weeks a year:  Opening our building to those in need of a home through the RAIHN program.  Yet this evening as we gathered for bible study like we always do, something was different.  Tonight, our small group of Incarnate Word folk were not simply meeting in a building at 597 East Avenue, we were meeting in your home.  And in your home this evening, "host" became "guest" and "guest" became "host" right before my very eyes.

Coming to our bible study you shared your stories of faith:  Of what following Jesus means to you.  Of how in the midst of adversities that I cannot even begin to comprehend, your faith in God's faithfulness has sustained you.  I thought we were hosting you and as it turns out, your witness to God's greatness and love made you my host:  Offering me a safe place for my own faith struggles:  A safe place to share my own moments of faith poverty:  A safe place for me to confide my occasional bouts of faith amnesia, when I get so caught up in life, that I forget all about a great and faithful God who loves me despite my many and egregious imperfections.

A long time ago, the writer of Hebrews wrote of entertaining angels and not even knowing it.  I saw that for myself this evening in your graciousness and in your proclamation of God's transforming and abundant love.  Tonight in the church where I function as pastor, your grace and faith preached to the preacher.  It turns out that in the place I have called home for nearly nine years, I was your guest and you were my host.  Tonight, my journey with Jesus was profoundly nourished by your grace and love and for that I cannot begin to thank you enough.  I cannot begin to thank God enough.

Our God is indeed an awesome God!  I know this because of your journey with us this evening.  You are indeed angels:  Messengers of an incredible God whose love and mercy knows no end.

Amen.  And again I say Amen!

Peace and Love,
Pastor Doug