Wednesday, January 29, 2014

An Excerpt from Sunday's "Big Game" sermon


I love a good football game.  I love the cracking sounds of helmets on helmets.  I love the acrobatics of spectacular end zone receptions.  I love when quarterbacks get hunted down and sacked for major yard loss.  Then there’s the good old fashioned “Flea Flicker”.  Who gets tired of that?   And yeah, I even enjoy pizza, wings and a couple bottles of beer.

But what I don’t believe is that God cares one little bit about a game’s outcome.  In fact given Jesus’ placement in 1st Century Palestine, it is quite possible that Jesus doesn’t know squat about football.
Judging by this morning’s opening sentences of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, it would appear that Jesus’ values are light years away from the rough and tumble, muscular ethos of Superbowl football teams.

This morning we discover that Jesus doesn’t care who’s going to Disney World after the game tonight.  Instead he embraces the weak, the powerless and the vulnerable.  You know:  The losers!


~Pastor Doug
(Jesus' Sermon on the Mount)