Sunday, January 5, 2014

In From the Cold



“And the word became flesh and lived among us”

According to all weather reports, record cold temperatures are on their way to Rochester.  Tuesday, January 7th, may be one of the coldest days on record with projected wind chills of around −20 degrees.   Though my life may be inconvenienced by these kinds of temperatures, I at least have a warm home in which to seek refuge.  But what about those who have no such luxuries?

In my sermon this morning, I talked about our call to put flesh and blood on God’s love and mercy.  That’s what followers of the One who became flesh do.  Christ’s love and mercy don’t come through osmosis or by words on paper.  They come through us.  We are Christ’s hands and heart.

With this in mind, I invite you to join me at Incarnate Word this coming Tuesday evening from 7 to 10 pm, as I open our doors to those seeking a hot cup of coffee and a place to warm up for a while.  I’m not sure if anyone will even avail themselves of the opportunity, but I have to do something.  If you can’t join me, I invite you to offer prayers for those who have limited or no shelter.

Not sure how much of a difference these efforts will make.  But if they make a difference to one person…

Peace and Love,
Pastor Doug